Thursday, April 17, 2008

Tornado Weather Has Arrived

I have never been more freaked out than I was tonight. At about 6:30 my mother called and asked if I had been watching the weather she said it was going to be bad. Tony had just ran Riley home from football practice so I told him that it was coming and asked him to put the car in the garage and move the go carts outside in the back. He kinda rolled his eyes a little but did it any ways. He's a great man. Well from 7:15 to about 8:30 I was in panic mode. The sky was intense and the sirens were going off. So I grabbed the boys a flashlight and my phone and we headed for the bathroom. I realized that I forgot the mattress so I went back into the boys room and grabbed it and it was really hard to fit threw the bathroom door and over the tub. Well tony calls and tells me that there is a tornado out there so take cover. (Tony is at work he has recently switched to night crew.) Well he calls back and tells me that its OK to come out now so we do and it was really calm out side the winds died down and I thought OK I can calm down now and I called mom. Well by the time I got off the phone with her it was getting really nasty out. The sky was black and the sirens were going off again. We hung outside for a couple of minutes and it started to rain really hard so we ran back inside and I grabbed the kids and we hung out in the bathroom again. Now I am a big chicken when it comes to this stuff but I want to see what is going on so I keep sneaking out and it was getting really bad and I thought I really just need to be in there with kids they are crying by this time. Well I was talking to them about what was happening and they were calming down finally and then the hail came. At first it was what is that I think it's hail. Then it was oh my gosh, is that hail what is that? It was coming down so hard and so fast I thought it was going to break the windows. Brenden was crying and yelling its going to get us. I gave the baby to Riley and I went out of the bathroom to see what going on. I called Tony I couldn't believe what was happening, it was so loud inside the house that I could hardly hear him on the phone. It was insane. the noise of it all was by far the worst part of it. It finally settled down and the boys were a little afraid to go to bed but they finally fell asleep. I have to say that if it was just me and I didn't have to worry about the boys I think that I would have been alright and thought what a cool storm. But what got me is that we were so unprepared for this and I just kept thinking that if something were to happen to me the boys would be lost. That is something that I need to work on. But in all like Brenden said It was a crazy night!!!!

This was our safe place! In our tiny little bathroom down the hall. After being in there all night I heard on the new that you shouldn't be in the bath tub because lightning travels through the water pipes and you would be fried in your tub. Nice!

If you could see the tree in this picture, see the line to the left of the picture. The hail come down so hard and fast the this little skinny tree trunk left an untouched patch of grass. Weird.
This is my attempt of getting a picture of size. There was a ton of this stuff it looked like it had snowed. I was floored.

2 comments:

~Hartwig Family~ said...

I am so happy you guys are ok! I have to say I don't miss that crazy weather one bit.

Dee said...

OMG!! That is crazy!! I am so glad you called me! (I knew u liked me!! LOL!) It didn't get so bad over here, just flooding rain and high winds! I am glad you and the boys survived! So where are we suppose to go if we can't get in the tub??